“The faculty of the History and Political Science Department at AU are not only well versed in their particular fields of research but also committed to helping students in and out of class. I learned to be open to different interpretations, to always be ready to help someone else, and to engage in dialogue for topics that affect more than just an academic interest, such as civics and politics. Such personal attention by the professors to my academic career helped me greatly when I pursued my master’s degree and began to teach at college myself.”
- Adam Renner BA ’10
- Courses emphasize developing writing skills — are essential in law and graduate pursuits.
- Many students complete government, legal, or public service internships. Students have traveled as far as Ireland and Hong Kong.
- Internships are strongly encouraged; past students have traveled as far as Ireland and Hong Kong.
- AU is active in Phi Alpha Theta, the national history honor society.
- The department has distinguished and well-traveled faculty, including published authors, active historians, sought-after public speakers and a former member of the Foreign Service.
Through the Center for Public Service (CPS), Fellows have opportunities to participate in professional conferences and internships in Washington, D.C., and across the country. CPS membership is highly competitive and open to all majors.
Graduate Schools/Law:Capital University Law School
Emory University School of Law
Harvard Law School
Indiana University School of Law
Michigan State University
Notre Dame Law School
Southern Methodist University School of Law
University of Cincinnati College of Law
University of Iowa
University of Kentucky College of Law
Vanderbilt University Law School
Other Graduate SchoolsEmory University
George Washington University
Miami University (Ohio)
Old Dominion University
University of Arizona
EmployersBaker & Daniels
Central Intelligence Agency
City of Chicago
Daimler-Benz of North America
Federal Bureau of Investigation
Humbolt State University
International Labor Organization (U.N.)
Madison County Prosecutor’s Office
Mennonite Central Committee
National Security Agency
Office of the Governor of the State of Ohio
Office of an Indiana senator
various school systems and private law firms nationwide