This complementary major offers science students all of the learning and practical experiences needed to meet the state requirements for teacher certification. This major may only be combined with a catalog major in biology, chemistry, or physics, and cannot stand alone to meet graduation requirements. Program objectives include:
- emphasis on Christ-like servant ways in the development of a professional educator, strengthened by a liberal arts program;
- teaching as a mission to serve adolescents and young adults;
- the student’s completion of a traditional major in an area of science while pursuing advanced study in science and/or education;
- unique combination of secondary school experience and content area instruction;
- early opportunities for students to explore science teaching as a potential career;
- entrance into the program at any stage in the student’s educational journey, based on individual needs and circumstances; and
- program completion within four years for most students.