The Lilly Endowment is challenging alums, parents, faculty, staff and students of Anderson University to continue their support by offering to match every dollar given by these specific groups between now and Dec. 31, 2003. With these funds, AU is committed to strengthen academic programs and increase the university’s unrestricted endowment. “For students who benefit from alumni annual gifts, this is some of the best news of the year,” said Dr. James Edwards, president of the university. “And it comes at a time when we are growing both in enrollment and in student need.”
From a physical standpoint, AU’s student population has more than doubled since many campus facilities were built. Contributions also ensure that AU will keep pace with student needs by providing financial aid. For schools such as Anderson University that don’t receive state assistance, alleviating some of the burden on students and their families is an ongoing endeavor.
“I am very humbled by the fact that I have not made this journey alone,” said Isabel Rocha, a recent AU graduate with a degree in Art Education. “I’m thankful that in spite of all our circumstances my parents have been so supportive of my dream and have been my greatest inspiration. God has brought so many people into my life to make my college education possible. In return, God has placed upon me a responsibility to inspire children who travel a similar journey.”
Facts about the Lilly match:
- The Lilly Endowment will match up to $3 million from alumni, up to $250,000 from parents and students, and up to $250,000 from faculty and staff.
- Gifts must be received before Dec. 31, 2003.
- Gifts for academic purposes will qualify for the match. The Lilly Endowment will not match gifts to athletic programs.
- Qualifying gifts must consist of irrevocable contributions of cash or property, such as marketable securities, cash equivalents and real property, and must be paid in full by Dec. 31, 2003. Gifts from family businesses or foundations of constituents also meet the qualifications.
- Deferred gifts and pledges will not qualify for the match except for payments made during the matching period.
For more information about the Lilly Endowment Match, please contact the Office of Development at 800-421-1025 or on the Web at www.anderson.edu/develop/
Anderson University is a private, four-year, Christian liberal arts institution of approximately 2,600 undergraduate and graduate students. Established in 1917 by the Church of God, the university offers more than 60 undergraduate majors and graduate programs in business, education and theology.