Anderson University was recently accepted into the membership of Indiana Campus Compact (ICC). Indiana Campus Compact is a consortium of colleges, both public and private, seeking to cultivate in students a lifelong commitment to community service and strengthen the positive role institutions of higher education play in their local communities.
“The Indiana Campus Compact membership unites us with a number of other educators who are making the wider world into learning places,” said Dr. James L. Edwards, president of Anderson University. “We bring our experiences and long-standing commitment to those who share our passion for engagement with the whole community for the benefit of students.”
The ICC was originally formed as a coalition named the Indiana Consortium for Voluntary Service. In March of 1993, six charter members – Butler University, DePauw University, Earlham College, Indiana University, the University of Notre Dame, and Valparaiso University – officially became the Indiana Campus Compact. Since then the ICC has expanded membership to a total of 32 campuses from across the state.
Indiana Campus Compact provides a variety of benefits to its members including subgrants, networking, and publications. Special programs designed to abridge service-learning into curriculum, encourage greater campus participation in local communities, and increase the reading skills of elementary school children. The ICC also serves as a clearinghouse of information, trainings, technical assistance, and networking opportunities. ICC strives to bring members the resources, contacts, and training that they need to fulfill their commitment to their students and the community.
Anderson University (Anderson, Ind.) is a private, four-year, Christian liberal arts institution of approximately 2,700 undergraduate and graduate students. Established in 1917 by the Church of God, the university offers more than 60 undergraduate majors and graduate programs in business, nursing, education and theology.