Estimated Awards and FAFSA Corrections
Verification Worksheets are used to verify non-tax items, such as household size and number in college. Students may be required to complete one of the following verification worksheets, which are available below in PDF format. Download Adobe Reader to view PDF documents.
2015-2016 School Year
- Verification Worksheet for Dependent Students [PDF]
- Verification Worksheet for Independent Students [PDF]
- Child Support Worksheet [PDF]
- Custom Worksheet [PDF]
- Household Resources Verification Worksheet for Dependent Students [PDF]
- Household Resources Verification Worksheet for Independent Students [PDF]
Option 2 — IRS Tax Return Transcript
If using the IRS Data Retrieval Tool (DRT) is not an option you must request a Tax Return Transcript for the student and spouse or for your parents, as applicable. Warning: we cannot accept an IRS tax Account transcript. Regardless of the method used, be sure to request the correct form: TAX RETURN TRANSCRIPT.
- For immediate online results go to www.irs.gov/Individuals/Get-Transcript, select “Get Transcript Online”, and create an account.
- To place an automated order call (800) 908-9946.
- Use the IRS2Go mobile app.
- Mail or fax a paper request using IRS Form 4506-T [PDF].
- Required field on Form 4506-T Line 6 - indicate which type of tax return you filed (1040, 1040A, or 1040EZ).
- Required field on Form 4506-T Line 6a - check the box for a tax Return transcript
Click here for detailed instructions on How to Request a Tax Return Transcript [PDF]
The IRS will respond with either:
- Your Tax Return Transcript, or
- A “Verification of Non-Filing Letter” indicating the IRS could not provide the transcript (see Option 4 below)
In either case, please sign and forward the IRS response to Anderson University, Office of Financial Aid.
Option 3 — Have the IRS mail your Tax Return Transcript to Anderson University
Tax filers who mail or fax a paper form 4506-T [PDF] can choose to have the transcript mailed to a third party (Anderson University). On line 5 enter our school information - Anderson University, Office of Financial Aid, Attn: Beth Parker, 1100 E. Fifth St, Anderson, IN 46012-3495. Indicate on line 6 which type of return you filed (1040, 1040A, or 1040EZ).
Option 4 — When a tax return transcript is unavailable
When the parent or student requests an IRS tax return transcript and the outcome is unsuccessful the IRS will respond with a “Verification of Nonfiling Letter” or a letter indicating the request could not be fulfilled at this time. Anderson University requires a copy of the IRS response. For unsuccessful online requests please forward a signed copy of a screen print from the official IRS webpage showing a message that the transcript request was unsuccessful.
In rare cases where there is proof that using the IRS DRT was not an option and a transcript is unavailable the university may accept a signed copy of the tax return (Form 1040, 1040A, or 1040EZ) for verification.
Option 5 — Filing Extensions
When students or parents have been granted a tax filing extension, Anderson University will accept a copy of IRS Form 4868, “Application for Automatic Extension of Time to File U.S. Individual Income Tax Return” as a temporary alternative. Also, AU will require a copy of all W-2 forms or, if self-employed, a signed statement with the amount of adjusted gross income (AGI) and amount of U.S. income taxes paid for the tax year.
AU will award financial aid for the fall semester only to students who filed an extension (or whose parents filed an extension). Once the return has been filed, AU will require income to be verified by either using the IRS DRT or a Tax Return Transcript.
Amended Tax Returns
Students or parents who file an amended return cannot use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool.
Instead, they must provide the following information to complete verification:
- A signed copy of the IRS Form 1040X (the amended tax return form), and
- A signed copy of the original tax return that was filed or an IRS transcript, and
- An IRS Tax Return Transcript (which does not have to be signed), or acceptable IRS alternative, such as a Record of Account Transcript, a Return Transcript for Taxpayer (RTFTP), or an Information Returns Processing Transcript Request—Wages (IRPTR-W).
Victims of IRS Identity Theft
In addition to collecting a copy of the Tax Return Transcript, the school must also collect a statement signed and dated by the tax filer indicating that he or she was a victim of IRS tax-related identity theft and that the IRS has been made aware of the tax-related identity theft.