Anderson, Indiana

Frequently Asked Questions

Mon, 2012-04-30 11:19 -- batch_migrate

Frequently Asked Questions

What is the Online Master of Arts in Christian Ministry at Anderson University School of Theology?

The Master of Arts in Christian Ministry is a 48-hour degree at Anderson University School of Theology delivered 100% online. This Association of Theological Schools (ATS) accredited degree is structured to provide people already serving in ministry with an expanded biblical and theological education. It is also designed for laypeople who wish to enter serious graduate level study of Bible and theology.

In general, the Master of Arts in Christian Ministry (MACM) degree provides a basic understanding of biblical, theological, and historical disciplines for experienced ministers. It is not intended or structured to provide a student with an overall study that prepares a person for pastoral ministry (i.e., the MACM does not provide courses in pastoral care, preaching, teaching, church administration, etc.).

Students who are preparing to enter ordained ministry should enroll in the residential Master of Divinity degree, which is the standard entry-level degree for ordained ministry.

Back to Top

How does an online class work?

To the extent possible, our online classes are exactly the same as our residential classes; the major difference is the delivery method.

Most online classes are taught by the same faculty members who teach our residential classes, they use the same text books, give the same assignments, and use the same examinations.

All online classes follow the same academic calendar as the residential classes. Online classes have the same start and end dates as residential classes.

You need high speed internet access. On the first day of the semester, you will receive an e-mail from the director of distance education, with your login instructions.

You will log in to your class, where you will find the syllabus and a list of assignments to be completed. Online classes are organized just like residential classes, with weekly assignments.

There are weekly reading assignments, weekly lectures, and weekly online forums with other students. You do not have to log in at a specific time — you will log in at whatever time is convenient for you and allows you to complete the professor's assignments by the day and hour the professor requires them to be completed.

It is important to understand that online learning is not for everyone. Online classes are generally more demanding than residential classes, because you must be self-motivated to complete your assignments and post them on time each week. While you do have a community of learning, it is a virtual community. You will read your classmates' forum postings, and respond appropriately, but this is not the same as being in the same room at the same time with the whole class.

Back to Top

What are the requirements of the program?

Students seeking admission to the Online MACM must meet all of the criteria below to be admitted to this program.

  1. Have reliable Internet broadband access.
  2. Currently hold a bachelor's degree from an accredited school of higher education.
  3. Be an ordained pastor, or are currently serving in a ministry capacity (involved in active ministry), or be a lay person interested in theological studies.
  4. Demonstrate the ability to write on a graduate school level. Because most of the academic work in the program is done through the computer, you will need to be able to write clearly, accurately, and at a graduate school level.

Back to Top

When is the application deadline?

The Application deadline date for the Fall Semester is August 1, and for the Spring Semester it is December 1.

Back to Top

What courses do I have to take?

The courses you will take are listed under each specialization on this website.

Back to Top

How many courses may I take during a semester?

A full time student in the online degree takes three courses per semester (nine semester hours).

Back to Top

How long will it take to complete this online degree?

A student taking nine hours per semester may complete this degree in two and one-half years.

Back to Top

How do I know if I have been accepted into the program?

The Director of Distance Education will inform you when your application goes to the Admissions Committee for action, and when you have been accepted into the program.

Back to Top

Can I transfer into the online program?

A student may transfer into the program from another accredited seminary. The student must submit their transcript for review by the Dean of the School of Theology. Any acceptance of transfer courses will be based on the courses of the AU SOT degree program and how requested transfer of courses might apply to the MACM. Courses must be at a grade of C or higher. The transfer of credits is not automatic. Students desiring to transfer credits should submit all theological graduate work for evaluation. All transfer students must complete 24 credit hours with Anderson University School of Theology in order to graduate from this seminary. All students transferring hours into the MACM program will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis.

Back to Top

Is there financial assistance for the program?

Yes, a student may receive direct scholarships from the seminary and apply for federal financial. To be considered for scholarship assistance, the student must send their request form with their application by the deadline noted in this document. The amount of scholarship assistance is determined annually based on available funds.

Back to Top

How do I pay for the program?

Payment must be made in full at the time of registration. A student may enroll in Tuition Management System (TMS) and make monthly payments. Arrangements for payment must be made before registration is valid, i.e. payment in full or enrolled in TMS. Information on TMS is available by clicking here or by calling (888) 713-7234.

Back to Top

Are there other opportunities for financial assistance?

A student seeking government direct loans needs to contact Neldy Ely in the Office of Student Financial Services. She can be reached via e-mail at You will need to identify yourself as an SOT student and an online MACM student. You must be enrolled for six (6) hours each semester in order to apply for government loans. You must also submit at FAFSA for this process.

Back to Top

May I receive a refund if I do not attend classes?

Payment of tuition and fees is expected at the time of registration. Students may wish to enroll with Tuition Management Systems in order to make monthly payments. Information is available from the Office of Student Financial Services or the Office of Student Development at the School of Theology. Registrations not accompanied by full payment or appropriate financial arrangements will be canceled. Financial aid cannot be regarded as appropriate down payment.

Registration constitutes a contractual agreement between the seminary and the student. If enrollees withdraw from all classes after classes have begun, or reduce the number of hours carried, they might be entitled to a reduction in charges for tuition. The following scale is used if withdrawal or schedule revision occurs on or before the end of:

  • First Week of Classes: 90% Reduction
  • Second Week of Classes: 80% Reduction
  • Third Week of Classes: 60% Reduction
  • Fourth Week of Classes: 40% Reduction
  • Fifth Week of Classes: 20% Reduction
  • Sixth Week of Classes: No Reduction

Back to Top

What if I am not able to complete a course by the end of a semester?

Students are discouraged from seeking final grades of "Incomplete." However, if you must seek an Incomplete, you must pay a fee of $150.00 per course, and complete, along with your instructor, a Request for Final Grade of "I" Form. You must complete this form and have it signed by the Instructor prior to the end of the semester. Failure to submit this form will result in the Registrar assigning a failing grade for the course. This form is sent to the Office of the Registrar with copies going to you and the instructor. You will not be permitted to take any other courses until the incomplete course is finished. You will be required to complete the course the next time it is offered, without payment of further tuition or fee beyond the $150.

Back to Top

How are materials delivered to me?

All course materials and most communication will be delivered via the Internet. You will purchase your textbooks via an Internet provider of your choice.

Back to Top

I’m an international student. How do I apply?

International students must follow the same procedure as all other online students. International students must follow the steps at: An international student must have original transcripts sent to the Anderson University School of Theology. The seminary admissions office will review all documents and determine if the student is educationally qualified to enter the seminary’s graduate program. The seminary will review educational transcripts, essays, and references for applicants. There may be a fee charged if the transcripts require verification.

All courses are taught in English. English proficiency is required when a student’s home language is non-English; TOEFL scores of 550 (paper-based), TOEFL scores of 213 (computer-based) or above, or Michigan test of English scores are accepted as such documentation of proficiency.

All international students must have reliable internet and broadband service to engage in this program.

Back to Top

I’m an international student. How do I pay for courses?

International students must pay their fees and tuition in US Dollars. Anderson University suggests that international students use peerTransfer for this exchange. peerTransfer offers excellent foreign exchange rates, allowing you to pay in your home currency (in most cases) and save a significant amount of money, compared to traditional banks. You will be able to track the progress of your payment throughout the transfer process via a student dashboard and you will also be notified via email when your payment is received by Anderson University. peerTransfer also offers a live chat feature to ask any questions you might have about the payment process. For information and a link to peerTransfer, visit the University’s Office of Student Financial Services at:

Back to Top