Anderson, Indiana

Overheated dryer prompts AU dormitory evacuation

Fri, 2011-12-09 08:11 -- univcomm
December 9, 2011

Residents of Anderson University’s Smith Hall were ordered to evacuate Thursday night after smoke was reported on the main floor.

fire-smithAnderson Fire Department Battalion Chief Larry Towne said students had already been evacuated to the school’s gymnasium by campus security by the time firefighters arrived about 8:30 p.m. The fire started in the dormitory’s laundry room, after one of the dryers overheated.

Towne said the fire was “small,” and was put out by the dormitory’s fire suppression system. He added most of the smoke was confined to the laundry room, and hardly any escaped further into the dormitory.

Firefighters left the scene about 9 p.m. and students were allowed back into the building about 9:30 p.m. following a fire investigation. Towne said that other than some possible water damage in the laundry room, the dormitory was in fine shape.

—Sam Brattain is a reporter for The Herald Bulletin. Photo credit: Don Knight. Story republished with permission.

Anderson University is a private Christian university of 2,600 undergraduate and graduate students in central Indiana. Anderson University continues to be recognized as one of America's top colleges by U.S. News and World Report, The Princeton Review, and Forbes. Established in 1917 by the Church of God, Anderson University offers more than 65 undergraduate majors and graduate programs in business, education, music, nursing, and theology.