Anderson University is committed to the preservation of integrity with our past and our present and to ensuring that important values are continued into our future. We want to state clearly to the various constituents we serve – prospective and current students and their parents, alumni, donors, the Church of God, community partners, and prospective and current faculty and staff - the ideals that bind us together as an academic community. This statement articulates our unifying ethos.
AT OUR CORE
As a learning community, rooted in the Church of God holiness movement, we celebrate the vibrancy of life in Christ. Our identity as a Christian University can be described in three words: ‘Real Life. Transformed.’ What that means is simple: we want to meet people where they are. We believe that the experiences and beliefs we bring to campus are real and authentic. We choose to welcome those who don't yet enjoy relationship with Jesus Christ, and we open ourselves to engaging with people, from all walks of life, in a community and culture confidently faithful to biblical truths and expectations. Our commitment begins with respecting the Real Lives students bring with them to campus, but it doesn't end there. We want our entire learning community to experience the kind of genuine transformation that comes from knowing Jesus, and understanding his incredible plans for the world. And so we challenge our ourselves to consider three big questions: “Who is God?”, “Who am I?”, and “How do we live?” We believe that the pursuit of answers to these questions will lead to genuine Christian Spiritual Transformation—in and beyond the classroom. Real Life...Transformed for dynamic service to church and society.
OUR CORE VALUES
We aspire to be a transformative Christian community informed by these core values:
- SERVANT LEADERSHIP — dedication to a life of service; a preferential awareness of the needs of others in the resolution of problems; a willingness to take the first step, however challenging, in meeting the demands of the day; embracing a spirit of servanthood that extends beyond one’s culture.
- EXCELLENCE — high-quality performance, innovation, and creativity; a relentless pursuit of the best in each individual and the wider learning community.
- INTEGRITY — commitment to Christian moral values, shared virtues, and biblical truth; keeping faith with university policies.
- RESPONSIBILITY —personal and social accountability to God and neighbor; trustworthy stewardship of personal and university resources.
- GENEROSITY — readiness to give of one’s gifts and talents with a spirit of gratitude; an attitude and posture of hospitality that comes with intercultural humility; a willingness to extend others the benefit of the doubt, placing mercy above rightness.
Approved by Cabinet, March 28, 2018
Reported to Board of Trustees, April 16-17, 2018