AU Facts in Time
- Campus Seal
The official seal of Anderson University features three Latin words (veritas, fidelitas, and utilitas) that mean truth, faithfulness, and service. They were chosen by President John Morrison and Dean Russell Olt and translated into Latin by student Sidney Rogers (B.A. 1932). The words surround an open Bible, above which rises a blazing torch that is showering light in all directions.
That seal, in a graphic way, tends to say it all. Here is the flame that should be kindled for the sake of generations yet to come. Here is the source for that flame, biblical truth, and the motive for its burning, faithfulness and service. Here is a vision that makes a difference in this troubled world. The 1923 Echoes affirmed that "each student, as he or she leaves the school, takes a lighted torch, and we see this torch of truth shining bright as the morning star in our home land as well as in the foreign land." Back in 1923 the number of students available on the Anderson campus to carry this inspiring and transforming torch was relatively few. Now, after 75 years, the body of alumni has become many thousands strong.
Robert Nicholson, in his inaugural address as president in 1983, recalled a story by Harry Lauder, the Scottish bard. Lauder once had recounted his Edinburgh boyhood experience of watching an old lamplighter. At dusk this man climbed a ladder to light an old-fashioned gas street lamp, then went on to do the same from one lamp to another. Finally, the lamplighter himself was lost from sight. But, emphasized Nicholson, "the course of his journey was evident by the lamps he had lit." The new president's point in recalling this story was that, over the years of history of the Anderson campus, many lamps had been lit in the midst of many kinds of darkness. The names of the lighters easily slip from memory, but the flames they lit are bright and enduring.
—Excerpted from Guide of Soul and Mind: The Story of Anderson University by Dr. Barry L. Callen, Professor Emeritus of Christian Studies at Anderson University.
- Early Years
The Church of God reformation movement began in 1880. In 1906, Trumpet workers moved to Anderson, Ind., from Moundsville, W. Va. Byrum Hall (which still stands today on campus) was constructed in 1908 as the campmeeting tabernacle. Byers Hall was built in 1912 and later remodeled for the nursing program.
In 1917, the Anderson Bible Training School was established by J. T. Wilson and Russell Byrum both Church of God (Anderson, Ind.) leaders. When opened, 65 students were enrolled. The first graduating class was in 1919 with 18 students. The first diplomas were earned by ministerial students. In 1919, John A. Morrison was named assistant principal. He was 26-years-old. Morrison House was constructed in 1921. The campus hosted its first alumni reunion held during Anderson Camp Meeting. The first issue of Echoes yearbook was printed in 1921.
During the 1923 year, John A. Morrison was named the principal of Anderson Bible Training School before being named first president in 1925. Russell Olt was named the first academic dean. ABTS became Anderson Bible School and Seminary in 1925.
The first dramatics club was organized in 1928 along with the Glad Tidings Choir directed by H.C. Clausen. Tuition was $100 per semester with 1928 being the first year liberal arts classes were offered.
The Anderson Bible School and Seminary changed names to Anderson College and Theological Seminary in 1929. During this year, the athletic programs began including the baseball team and track. The first teams were the Tigers followed by the Moundbuilders, and finally Ravens.
In 1932, the first liberal arts class graduated. Intercollegiate athletics started the same year along with the Pep Club which stood for personality, education, and progress. Byrum Hall was renovated in 1936 to become the university’s gymnasium and the art program was started by Ruthven Byrum.
In 1937, Anderson College and Theological Seminary received provisional accreditation for training public school teachers. The same year, the school joined the Indiana Intercollegiate Conference later known as the Heartland Collegiate Athletic Conference.
The alumni office was established in 1941. A celebratory mortgage burning occurred in 1942 during the 25 year anniversary. In 1946, the school was granted accreditation by North Central Association of Universities, College and Secondary Schools. The student publication, The Andersonian, also began.
Football team was established in 1947, the same year Robert H. Reardon was named assistant to President Morrison. The Anderson College Choir was formed under the direction of Robert Nicholson.
Morrison Hall was constructed for women in 1949 and named for John A. Morrison. In 1950, Earl Martin was named dean of the Seminary and the Seminary library was opened on third floor of Old Main. Adam Miller named second dean of the Seminary in 1953.
Dunn Hall was constructed in 1954 and named after Sethard P. Dunn, an African-American pastor in the Church of God who was a charter member of the Anderson College Board of Trustees.
Robert A. Nicholson was named second academic dean in 1957 when tuition was $225 per semester and 1,000 students were enrolled. The first academic building was constructed: the Charles E. Wilson Library.
In 1958, Dean Russell Olt passed away the same year Martin Hall was constructed. Martin Hall was named after Earl Martin, first dean of the Seminary. John A. Morrison retired after 39 years as president. Robert H. Reardon was named second president
The Language laboratory and Instructional Materials Center was started in 1961. The School of Theology building was completed in 1962 and Eugene Newberry was named the third dean of the School of Theology. Two more building projects were completed in 1961: O. C. Lewis Gymnasium and Warner Auditorium. Warner Auditorium was named for D. S. Warner, church reformer and one of the founders of the Church of God (Anderson, Ind.).
In 1963, Olt Student Center was constructed named for Russell Olt, the first dean of Anderson College. Hartung Hall was constructed in 1964 named for Everett and Elrsele Hartung, donors to Anderson College and active leaders in the Church of God. Smith Hall was constructed and named for Lillian Odell Smith. Also in 1964, the Tri-S program was organized.
President Emeritus John A. Morrison died at 69 in 1965. During this time, the physical plant was constructed and the computer center was established. This same year, the School of Theology received national accreditation by the American Association of Theological Schools.
The Anderson Symphony Orchestra was founded in 1966 by the department of music with Harold Lowe conducting. Third Street Hall for men and women was constructed in 1966 later renamed Rice Hall for Hillary and Pauline Rice, leaders in the Church of God and Development officer for Anderson University.
In 1967, the Fiftieth anniversary of Anderson College was celebrated. The same year Mansfield Apartments was constructed named for C.C. and Ina Mansfield. In 1968, the Boyes House was constructed and is still used as the official home of the President of AU. It was named for Donald and Beverly Boyes, former general manager of Delco Remy Division in Anderson and vice president General Motors Corporation on his retirement. The same year, Old Main was demolished to make room for Decker Hall. It was completed in 1970 and named for Philip and Katherine Decker, pioneer residents of the community of Anderson and parents of the late Mrs. Herman Krannert. Also in 1970, Myers Hall was constructed named after Linfield Myers.
Bennett Natatorium was completed in 1973 named for Dr. and Mrs. Rollie O. Bennett, long-time Anderson area residents. In 1974, Miller Chapel was added to the School of Theology named for Adam W. Miller, first dean of the Seminary. The same year, Barry Callen was named fourth dean of the School of Theology.
Rozelle Observatory was built in Decker Hall in 1974 and named for Harold E. Rozelle, Anderson resident and AU benefactor. The drama department moved into the newly-renovated Byrum Hall while the nursing and music departments were both accredited. The tennis courts were constructed in 1976.
West Campus was completed for married students’ residence in 1977. The same year, the Madison County Special Olympics was organized on campus. The Athletic Field Complex was dedicated to include baseball, football, track, tennis, and practice fields.
In 1979, the Krannert Fine Arts Center was dedicated and named for Ellnora Decker Krannert, influential nationwide in many educational disciplines including the arts. The social work department was accredited.
In 1980, the health clinic for students opened along with the Sports Medicine Center. The Male Chorus sang at the National Prayer Breakfast in Washington, D.C.
The Anderson Leadership Academy was formed in 1981 through a partnership between Anderson College and the Madison County Chamber of Commerce. It is now known as the Leadership Academy of Madison County.
During the 1983 year, Robert Reardon retired after 25 years as president and Robert A. Nicholson was named third president. Barry Callen was named third academic dean, Anderson College while Jerry Grubbs was named the fifth dean for the School of Theology.
The undergraduate program was divided into three schools in 1983: School of Art, Culture and Religion; School of Social and Professional Studies; and School of Theoretical and Applied Science.
In 1984, Reardon Auditorium was completed and named for Robert H. Reardon, second president of Anderson University. The Purdue Statewide Technology Program was established on AU campus in 1985.
In 1987, Anderson College changed to Anderson University and the Division of Adult and Continuing Education was created. This same year, AU became a charter member in the Indiana Collegiate Athletic Conference. Macholtz Stadium was constructed and named to honor beloved AU faculty member, Dr. James Macholtz. AC News was replaced by Signatures, the quarterly alumni magazine. The University Library was completed with Wilson and Byrd libraries combined.
Patrick Allen was named the fourth academic dean of undergraduate college in 1988. In 1989, the Broadcasting Center opened and AUCME (AU Center for Ministerial Education) was established.
During the 1990 year, Robert Nicholson retired after seven years as president with James L. Edwards named fourth president. James E. Massey was named the sixth dean of the School of Theology. A $29.3 million “Campaign for Anderson University” ended in 1990. WQME 98.7 FM (now 98.7 The Song) radio debuted from broadcasting department.
The School of Business was established as fourth undergraduate school in 1991. AU celebrated the 75th anniversary year in 1992 with the theme, “Kindle the Flame.” The Master’s of Business Administration added to graduate program. The University Library named changed to Robert A. Nicholson University Library, named to honor Dr. Robert Nicholson, the third president of Anderson University. The same year the “Eternal Flame” was established on campus
In 1993, the $75 million “Anderson Challenge” Capital Campaign launched. The same year, AU completed a $5 million expansion of Hartung Hall science facility with the Helios glass sculpture unveiled.
The two-story Welcome Center expansion added to the east end of Decker Hall was completed in 1994 along with Third Street renovated and renamed University Boulevard.
In 1995, David Sebastian was named the seventh dean of the School of Theology. Third Street Hall was renovated and renamed Rice Hall for Hillary and Pauline Rice, leader in the Church of God and Development officer for Anderson University.
Carl Caldwell became the university’s fifth chief academic officer in 1996. The position was formerly called academic dean.
Anderson University’s $75 million “Anderson Challenge” Capital campaign concludes at the $83.5 million mark in 1999. Dunn Hall was renovated the same year. Anderson University and Indiana Governor Frank O’Bannon established statewide Center for Character Development on campus in 2000.
During 2001, AU renamed the business school to the Falls School of Business for Dr. R. Glenn Falls, longtime business professor at Anderson University. Hardacre Hall became home for the new school. The School of Theology celebrated their 50th anniversary. The same year, AU established Anderson University Press.
In 2002, the Kardatzke Wellness Center was constructed named after Dr. Stan Kartdatzke and the Kardatzke family, longtime benefactors to Anderson University. Orangehaus Records was established with the first artist Jon McLaughlin signed to the student-run label.
Anderson University released new Raven athletics logo and monogram in 2003. During 2005, Fair Commons Apartments was constructed and dedicated. The apartments were named for Denton and Aline Fair as well as Phillip and Betty Fair, leaders in the Church of God and a staff member at Anderson University. Also dedicated in 2005 was the Flagship Enterprise Center, a business incubator created through a partnership between Anderson University and the City of Anderson.
AU’s “Dreams. Discovery. Direction.” $110 million campaign launched in 2006 in addition to the York Seminary Village construction. The seminary housing was named after AU benefactors Dr. James and Dr. Elizabeth York. The Honors Program was also established.
During 2007, President Emeritus Robert H. Reardon passed away at 88. The same year, Morrison Hall was renovated and the Anderson University Flagship Center was dedicated. The Center currently houses the Falls School of Business residential MBA program.
In 2008, both Martin Hall and Smith Hall were renovated. AU announced new majors: global business, entrepreneurship, and youth ministry. Fifth Street Communications, a student-staffed public relations agency, was established in 2009. AU established three majors in dance: dance performance, dance business and a complementary major in dance. Also in 2009 was the first annual Elizabeth York Children’s Literature Festival hosted in Nicholson Library. To kick off the semester, Fifth Street was reconstructed to increase pedestrian safety and Marie Morris became the university’s sixth chief academic officer.
The Indianapolis Colts Training Camp returned to AU in 2010 after a 12 year absence. In 2011, AU’s “Dreams. Discovery. Direction.” campaign completed at $113 million. In August, AU introduced a new corporate logo and branding colors. AU constructed the STAR Trading Room, a live financial stock trading room, in the Falls School of Business named to honor a generous gift provided by STAR Financial Bank.
York Performance Hall and Galleries named for AU benefactors, Dr. James and Dr. Elizabeth York, was constructed in 2012. In 2014, Candles and Carols celebrated their 50th anniversary. James W. Lewis installed as the eighth dean of the School of Theology.
During 2015, James L. Edwards retired after 25 years serving as president of Anderson University with John S. Pistole named fifth president of Anderson University. The dance studio was constructed at the northwest corner of the Kardatzke Wellness Center. The studio is an addition to space on the west end of the Kardatzke Wellness Center supporting the dance program.
In 2016, AU introduced new majors in sport marketing, national security studies, information security, and computer engineering. AU also introduced a new competitive sport: men’s and women’s swimming.
MaryAnn Hawkins was named ninth dean of the School of Theology and Christian Ministries in 2016.