Center for International and Intercultural Studies


Who is eligible to participate in Tri-S?

Tri-S is a learning/service travel program developed for Anderson University students, faculty and staff. Students apply for a particular trip by submitting a form and a deposit to the Tri-S office. At times, there are places available (at a higher cost) for persons outside the A.U. community. If spaces are available it is possible for trip leaders to invite adult children or spouses but they will not receive the university subsidized price that students pay. If interested in full price contact the Tri-S office.

Where can I travel?

View our destinations or stop by our office to receive a list of the current Tri-S programs being offered. Note that all trips are pending sufficient interest and field approval from our hosts abroad. Tri-S reserves the right to change programs offered, price, schedules or arrangements.

Where (and when) do I make payments for my trip?

Bring your application form and deposit to the Tri-S office. All other payments are also to be made in the Tri-S office. Make checks payable to Anderson University.

If I change my mind or circumstances prevent me from traveling, can I get my money back?

Tri-S deposits are not refundable and they cannot be transferred to another person.

Refunds beyond your deposit will depend on when you cancel and how much we have already paid for your airfare, lodging, and other expenses. Any cancellations or changes must be given in writing, as soon as possible, to the Tri-S office.

How do I get a passport?

View Passport and Visa information plus other helpful trip preparation information.

What is included in my Tri-S price?

Housing, air transportation from designated departure city*, ground transportation at destination, some meals, and some group activities.

What is not included in my Tri-S price?

Transportation to the departure city*; cost of passport and/or visa; airport departure taxes; immunizations or other recommended/ required health precautions; miscellaneous expenses, such as tips, laundry, meals, baggage charges, travel insurance, telephone calls, or any other items of a personal nature; airline fees for checked baggage; airline fees for overweight baggage; items or services not expressly specified in writing.

What is meant by "departure city"?

The departure city* is the place where your group leaves the USA. It is your responsibility to make your own arrangements and pay for your transportation to the departure city; it is not included in your Tri-S price.

Can I receive academic credit or financial aid for my Tri-S trip?

Academic credit is available to qualified students who complete the academic requirements of a program of study in conjunction with their travel. Students must register for credit prior to travel. Some tuition assistance may be available. See the Academic credit for more information. For financial aid, inquire in the Office of Student Financial Services for further information, second floor of Welcome Center, or call (765) 641-4180.

If friends, family, or my church make contributions toward my trip, will Anderson University issue a donor receipt?

No, sorry, the IRS does not consider trip payments a tax-deductible contribution to the university. However, contributions given to Anderson University that are designated for the general operation of the Tri-S program do qualify for tax credit.

What is an International Student Identity Card (ISIC)?

An ISIC gives international recognition to your student status and entitles you to sickness/accident insurance, 24-hour traveler’s assistance helpline, reduced airfares and discounts in the U.S. and abroad.

What will I do on my Tri-S trip?

For workcamp trips, group members provide the manual labor necessary to complete projects such as building, painting or landscaping.

For service projects, volunteers teach, lead in worship, assist the needy, or provide vacation Bible school programs.

For both work camps and service projects, housing and meals are simple, and some facilities may be primitive. You and your group work alongside members of the host culture and are expected to, among other things, help prepare food and clean up. Group members often have the opportunity to sing or share during worship services.

For cultural trips, the primary objective is to increase your cultural knowledge and understanding. You and your group may, among other things, study a society’s customs, language, history, geography or fine arts. The housing may be in hotels, hostels, and some meals are provided.

Are there health requirements for travel abroad?

Requirements and recommendations vary by destination. Information for your particular destination will be given during a group meeting. In general, you are responsible for your own health and for all medical costs. Remember to consult your personal physician to see if he/she recommends any immunizations prior to your departure. Check with your health insurance carrier to verify they will cover you while you are traveling outside the USA. Carry your family’s hospitalization card with the account number and bring with you emergency funds since you are personally responsible for medical expenses incurred. If you use medication, be sure to carry it with you in the original container on the plane, as well as a copy of your physician’s prescription. Be sure your leader is informed of any special health problems you may have. You may wish to carry medicine to treat common traveler’s maladies.

*City Key: MIA = Miami; AND = Anderson; IND = Indianapolis; HOU = Houston; LAX = Los Angeles; ORD = Chicago; DAY = Dayton.