Master of Music Education
This 32-hour degree program is designed for the practicing music educator who has one or more years of experience as a music teacher. The degree program can be completed mostly in summer sessions (six weeks of coursework each summer), though a limited number of evening classes during the academic year may be required. Separate tracks of study are available for instrumental, choral, and general music specialists. Students may also pursue three levels of Orff Schulwerk Certification as part of this degree program. The MME program is accredited by the National Association of Schools of Music.
For information about the program, contact Dr. Jeffrey Wright, Dean, School of Music, Theatre, and Dance
(765) 641-4544; toll-free (800) 619-3047; fax (765) 641-3809
Core Courses 18-20 hours
- Philosophy and History of Music Education 3 hrs.
- Bibliography and Research 3 hrs.
- Psychology of Music 3 hrs.
- Graduate Music Theory 3 hrs.
- Music History 3 hrs.
- World Music 2 hrs.
- Thesis in Music Education 3 hrs. OR Professional Project in Music Education 1 hr.
Music Education Elective Courses 12-14 hours
- Level I Orff Certification 3 hrs.
- Level II Orff Certification 3 hrs.
- Level III Orff Certification 3 hrs.
- Orff Curriculum 2 hrs.
- Orff Technology 1 hr
- Dalcroze Eurhythmics -- Beginning and Intermediate 2 hrs.
- Percussion (Drumming) in the General Music Classroom 1-2 hrs.
- Conversational Solfege 2 hrs.
- First Steps in Music 2 hrs.
- Selected Topics in Music Education 1-3 hrs.
Other Music Theory, Private Lessons, and Conducting electives are available.
For full requirements and additional program information, view the Graduate Catalog.