University Registrar

Veterans Benefits Information

Instructions for Students Applying for V.A. Educational Benefits

Veterans (or eligible dependents) are responsible for the payment of ALL educational expenses, including tuition and fees, room, board, books, and supplies, etc. VA educational benefits normally require 2-6 weeks of processing time from the date of certification before benefits are received. Chapter 33 veterans: Although the VA will pay for your tuition, you (the veteran) are ultimately responsible for payment of any tuition, fees your benefits do not cover.

These are the basic steps you should follow to begin using your GI Bill benefits.

Step 1:  Application

The first step toward receiving your VA educational benefits is to fill out an application. For veterans, the form that you should fill out is a VA Form 22-1990. For the dependent of a veteran using Chapter 35, you should fill out VA Form 22-5490. Both of these forms are available online. 

Note: If you need assistance determining what you are eligible for you can visit or call 1-888-442-4551.

Step 2:  Apply to Anderson and schedule your classes

You will need to follow all of the steps required by our Office of Admissions. This includes submitting an application, paying the application fee, taking a placement test, and scheduling. 

Note: You can only be certified for courses that are required for graduation from Anderson University, and it is your responsibility to make sure that you are following your chosen program. It is strongly advised that you consult an academic advisor when scheduling.

Step 3:  Certify your classes with the VA Certifying Official

Each semester you will need to certify that you are attending classes. You can do this by submitting a VA Education Benefits Request Form. This form is available in the Office of the University Registrar, or you can find the form on the Registrar’s Office website. This is something you will need to do each semester, or your classes will not be certified.

Step 4:  Arrange for payment of classes

Students using the Montgomery GI Bill and Survivors, Dependents Educational Assistance Program must arrange for payment to the school. This may be out of pocket, Federal Financial Assistance, scholarships, etc.

Students using the Post 9/11 GI Bill must submit a certificate of eligibility from the Department of Veterans Affairs to the VA certifying official prior to the final day to submit payment. As a courtesy, AU will prevent your courses from being purged if you have submitted this information. If you do not provide this information, you will have to arrange for payment to the school in order to prevent your courses from being purged.

Step 5: Verify your attendance with the VA

For chapters 30, 1606, it is required that you verify that you are attending your classes. You can do this by calling 1-877-823-2378 or online. Once you confirm your attendance, the VA will process your payment.

Step 6: Receive Payment

If you have questions about the amount or time of payments, call 1-888-442-4551.

To avoid overpayments, please let University Certifying Official know when you drop classes.

An overpayment is an incorrect benefit payment that is more than the amount to which you are entitled. If you promptly notify the VA of changes affecting your benefits, you can prevent or reduce overpayments.

NOTE: Satisfactory Progress – All VA students must follow AU’s Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) Policy. This Policy requires that students maintain at least a 2.0 cumulative grade point average. Students who fail SAP may not be eligible to receive further veterans benefits at AU.


  • Repeat course with a “D” or better earned in residence or transfer, unless a higher grade is required for graduation.
  • Course that is not required for completion of the program.
  • Course from which a veteran withdraws or stops attending without circumstances.
  • On-line course that is non-credit developmental or remedial course.
  • Chapter 33 housing allowance for less than 7 credits (all on-line classes are paid at ½ national BAH).
  • Interval pay (Christmas break, the break between summer classes and fall/spring semester).

Please direct all question about your eligibility or payments directly to the VA at (888) 442-4551.

If you are unsure of the benefit potential debt impact of contemplated enrollment changes, please check with the certifying official. If the VA makes an excess payment of tuition and fees to your Student Account, you will be liable for repayment of the excess amount. VA pays the Book Stipend of up to $1000.00 yearly paid proportionately based on enrollment. This stipend is wire transferred to the bank account identified in your VONAPP application. It typically arrives three to four weeks after VA Enrollment Certification. Your monthly Basic Allowance for Housing (BAH) will be wire transferred to the bank account identified in your VONAPP application. It is paid on the first of the month for the previous month and is only paid for the days that you are enrolled in class.


  1. Change of program – VA form required 
  2. Change of address/phone/email
  3. Academic issues  
  4. Graduating Semester   
  5. Course withdrawal    

Important Notes for Chapter 33 Students:

To initiate VA payment processing of your Basic Allowance for Housing (BAH) and your Book Stipend, both consistent with your Post-9/11 Percent Eligibility, your enrollment credit hours are reported to the VA as soon as your “VA Education Benefits Request Form” is processed by the certifying official.