Get your computer ready for campus
- Wireless access will be available in most public places, academic buildings and all residence halls. Do NOT bring personal wireless routers and/or switches. Wireless cards should be 802.11a or 802.11g. The residence halls have 802.11n.
- For wired connections, you need a 10/100/1000 network card. You will need to bring an ethernet cable. 25' cables are standard length for residence hall rooms.
- Windows must be fully patched. It’s a good idea to check for updates regularly. Before bringing your computer to campus make sure all critical updates have been applied.
- IMPORTANT: Obtain an antivirus program AND make sure it is up-to-date. Each student is required to obtain their own antivirus solution. There are free antivirus solutions available from AVG, AVast and Microsoft Security Essentials. If you purchased a new computer, either uninstall the trial version of antivirus or pay to activate the installed trial version.
- A suggested program to protect yourself from spyware: Malwarebytes.
- Pack original CDs of critical software (Windows, Office, etc.). If a problem with the machine or software occurs, original software is required.
- NO Windows XP, NO Windows ME, NO Windows 98.
- NO file sharing programs (i.e. Morpheus, Kazaa, LimeWire, BearShare).