The Office of Academic Advising, which is part of Educational Support Services at Anderson University, is here to assist students. The advising system of support helps students find information, plan, and make decisions regarding classes. Prior to declaring a major during their first year, students are assigned faculty mentors who serve as advisors until students have declared a specific major. Advisors are assigned to students once they have completed a Declaration of Major form in the Office of Advising. Advisors are faculty in the department of the declared major.

Helpful Links:

Advising Videos

Educational Support Services has created helpful advising how-to videos for students and faculty to learn the basics of AccessAU. These videos include topics like enrolling in classes, viewing your academic requirements, running and viewing your what-if report, etc.

View Advising videos.

Online Registration

Your first step in the online registration process will be to schedule an advising appointment with your advisor or mentor. The name of your advisor or mentor is located on AccessAU. On the right side of the Student Center page is a blue box titled Advisor. If you know that you have not declared your major, then the name showing will be your mentor, as well as their office phone number. If you have questions about your advisor/mentor, check with the Office of Educational Support Services.

Your second step is to use the Academic Requirements and the Academic Planner tools on AccessAU, the Undergraduate Catalog, and Advising Sheets for your major(s) to help determine what classes you need to take in preparation for your advising appointment.

The third step is meeting with your advisor. Before you leave your advisor appointment, either have your classes in your enrollment cart or written out on a Schedule of Classes form. On the form should be the Call Number, Subject Caption, Course Number, Section Number and have your advisor sign.

Your fourth step in the online registration process is to log onto AccessAU when your appointment time comes and enroll for classes. Your appointment time may be found at your Student Center screen.  Look for the Enrollment Dates box on the right of the page and click on details to see when your enrollment appointment begins.  

Things to Remember when Registering for Classes:

  • Departmental or Instructor Permission:

    Certain courses require permission from the department or the instructor of the course. You will need a Special Permission form signed by the instructor and your advisor and submitted to the Registrar’s office personnel to add this class. 
  • Closed Classes:

    You will need a Special Permission form signed by the professor of the closed class and your advisor to register for closed classes. Bring the form to the Registrar’s office for processing.
  • Pre-Requisites:

    When planning out your schedule, pay attention to whether a course has a pre-requisite. If you have not met the pre-requisite, you will be denied access to the class. If this occurs but you have been given permission to override the pre-requisite, you will need to come by the Office of the Registrar and pick up a Special Permission form. Once you get the appropriate authorized signatures, the Registrar Office personnel will be able to process a manual override of the pre-requisite requirement.
  • Academic Load:

    A full-time academic load is 12-18 hours. Students with above average academic performance may register for additional hours, but may not do so online. If you wish to register for additional hours, you will need to bring your completed Class Registration Form to the Office of the Registrar, after you have completed the online registration process. There are additional tuition fees for hours over 18.
  • Do not make significant changes to your schedule without first consulting with your advisor. You are ultimately responsible for your progress toward completion of your degree. 

  • If you have any problems scheduling your classes online, please stop by the Office of the Registrar or Educational Support Services. We are located in Decker 258. Come as soon as possible to avoid classes closing. If you have a financial aid hold on your account, speak with your Financial Aid counselor to resolve the issue so you will be allowed to register for classes.

Request for Courses Taken Elsewhere [PDF]

How to Take Summer Courses outside of AU:

  1. Come to the Registrar's Office and pick up a Request for Courses Taken Elsewhere Form or print a copy.
  2. Fill out the form and attach a course description of the class from the college to the form.
  3. Be sure you clearly indicate if you want to take the course(s) to fulfill Liberal Arts or to fulfill your Major/Minor requirements.
  4. If the course(s) is to fulfill your Major/Minor requirement, you are required to get Department Chair approval. After completing the form and securing the required signatures from the chair of the major dept., return the form to the Registrar's Office.

Things to remember when taking courses elsewhere:

  • The course needs to be taken at a regionally accredited college or university for transferability.
  • Repetition of a course: If you received a grade of "D" in a course at AU, you may not repeat it at another school. If you received a grade of "F" in a course, then you may elect to repeat it at another school, however, it will not replace the grade at AU or factor into your GPA.
  • A final grade of C minus or above must be earned for the class to transfer. However, no grades will be recorded for transfer credit since your semester and/or cumulative grade point average (GPA) is figured on Anderson University work only.
  • Residence Requirement: To earn a degree from Anderson University a student must be in residence at the university for the last 24 hours applicable to the degree. Under some circumstances, and with special permission, a maximum of 6 of the final 24 hours may be taken elsewhere. If this applies to you, then write your request on a full sheet of paper giving your reasons for wanting to take the courses out of residence. The Registrar will act upon this petition. Attach the letter to the Courses Taken Elsewhere Form.
  • Graduation Requirement: Transfer credits from other institutions must be in the Office of the Registrar by April 1 of the year in which you expect to graduate.