Sport marketing focuses both on the promotion of sports events and teams as well as the promotion of other products and services through sporting events and sports teams.
Currently, the marketing industry is on track to grow slightly faster than the average for all professions. The Bureau of Labor Statistics expects around a 13% growth for marketing manager positions in the next decade; however, sport marketing is special because the sports marketing industry has such low turnover. The best way to ensure entry into the industry is to gain a specialized degree in sports marketing, rather than a general degree in marketing.
What makes AU’s Sport Marketing program unique?
- We combine marketing, business, and sport management classes to give you a well-rounded academic experience. While many universities offer sport marketing in kinesiology, AU intentionally offers the major within the Falls School of Business for students to have a competitive edge on a core of best business practices.
- We focus on hands-on projects and experiences that translate into employable skills. Two of our required classes (sales and sponsorships and business of the gameday) will end in results that will be featured on the student’s resumes and are designed to help the student obtain better internships and expand career options.
- Our athletic program works with us to provide a lab for sport marketing students to practice what they are learning in the classroom.
- We have an advisory council of sport marketing professionals including sports agents, multiple professional teams, communications, marketing, sponsorship, and other sport professionals who have committed to supporting our students.
What kind of courses will I take?
- marketing management
- sport marketing
- business of game day experience
- sport sponsorship and sales
- business core classes including accounting, economics, finance, statistics, marketing, and management
What sorts of careers should I expect after graduation?
- Sports Administrator
- Sports Marketing Account Executive for firms or for teams
- Sponsorship Sales
- Sport Event Management
- Merchandising and Licensing
- Athletic Director
What sort of experiences will I have?
- Experiential learning/field trips to teams and facilities.
- Guest speakers from the sport marketing industry (local and distant).
- Actual sponsorship sales experience.
- Actual gameday event planning and execution including promotion and sharing results with the clients.
—Randy Lewandowski, AU alum and the General Manager of Indianapolis Indians
*Due to it being a new major, Sport Marketing has not yet been accredited by the Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs.